Antigua Guatemala is famous for its well-preserved Spanish Baroque-influenced architecture as well as a number of ruins of colonial churches. It sits just to the north and east of three volcanos that dominate the skyline.
Founded in 1543, “La Antigua” served as the seat of Spain’s colonial government— whose influence extended beyond Guatemala to Chiapas (in southern Mexico), Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, and parts of Costa Rica—until the Spanish Crown ordered its relocation to the site of what is now Guatemala City in 1776.
We visited Cerro de la Cruz, or Hill of the Cross, located just north of the city. The hill offers sweeping views of Antigua with the towering Volcán de Agua in the background, and Volcan Fuego erupting for us on cue.