Kirtipur's history dates from 1099 A.D. It was part of the territory of Lalitpur at the time of the invasion of the Kathmandu Valley by the Gorkhali king Prithvi Narayan Shah in the 18th century.
Kirtipur, is an ancient city about 3 miles southwest of Kathmandu. The city is filled with labyrinthine brick and stone streets, many of which are dotted with medieval temples—but times in the “City of Glory” were not always so peaceful. Due to Kirtipur’s strategic position, Gorkha king Prithvi Narayan Shah made it his first priority to capture the city during his 1767 conquest of the Kathmandu Valley. After two attacks and a six-month siege, the king took Kirtipur, and tragically ordered his troops to cut off the noses and lips of every male in the city.